Maladaptive daydreaming: Causes, symptoms, and prevention: Most people daydream about something, a person lost in thoughts or confusion also daydreams. People who get used to of daydream can also have negative effects on them. The habit of daydreaming is called maladaptive daydreaming in medical terms, it is considered to be a problem related to addiction and behavior. According to specialists, this daydreaming is normal, but when this habit becomes an addiction, it becomes a psychological issue. Dreaming too often is not considered good for mental health.
What is Maladaptive Daydreaming:
The practice of separating oneself from reality and the world and getting lost in one’s dreams or thoughts is called maladaptive daydreaming. People suffering from this condition can remain lost in their mental imagination on any occasion. Being diagnosed with this type of problem can have a big effect on life. Because of this, there is an adverse effect on social, practical, and academic life as well. In this situation, a person may remain lost in his fantasies throughout the day, due to which he has a bad effect on his life.
According to research, people who suffer from this condition are lost in their fictitious world about sixty percent of the time they are awake, such people consider their imagination as reality while overlooking the real world. Almost all people who suffer from this situation can go on to face many types of psychological disorders. This situation also hampers the functioning of people’s everyday life, ignoring this situation can be overwhelming.
Also Read: Walnut oil benefits.
Maladaptive daydreaming causes
The main reason for this problem in general can be loneliness, stroke or mental trauma, or fantasy. Due to these reasons, people can fall into the habit of daydreaming or dreaming during the day. In situations like trouble and loneliness in life, some people may want to get away from reality and suffer from daydreaming. By running away from real life and real situations, such people try to get lost in their fictional world, which later takes the form of a severe mental problem, it is also named an escapist way of living.
Maladaptive Daydreaming Symptoms
- There can be multiple symptoms of maladaptive daydreaming or daydreaming problem, any person who has such a problem possibly have many kinds of mental disorders. There may not be any definite symptoms of this problem, whoever is suffering from this problem may have these symptoms.
- Stay lost in your imagination
- Difficulty with daily functioning
- Trouble sleeping at night
- Finding time to dream all the time no matter how busy the schedule is
- Suddenly getting lost in dreams while sitting
- Modifying facial expressions at all times of the day
- sudden loss of consciousness
- There can be many other symptoms of this problem as well.
Maladaptive Daydreaming Treatment
The issue of daydreaming or maladaptive daydreaming is being researched and studied all over the world. This issue is being treated with the help of behavior therapy, talk therapy, etc. People suffering from this problem require counseling. Psychiatrists also use some medicines to analyze this issue.