What is a narcissistic personality disorder: What is a narcissistic personality disorder?: ‘Narcissist’ is a mental health condition called Narcissist Personality Disorder (NPD). This disorder is one of many personality disorders. People with NPD have a heightened sense of their importance. Such people have an urge to pay high attention to themselves and a deep need for their appreciation, trouble with relationships, and a lack of empathy for others. People with these symptoms come out with overconfidence and this can mislead others in the beginning. They can also appear charming and charismatic at first, so avoid showing you negative behavior right away, especially in relationships.
People with Narcissistic Personality Disorder often like to be around people who satisfy their ego. They can do anything to get compliments from people. (What is a narcissistic personality disorder?)
Traits of a Narcissist
Anyone who is being treated under NPD must have five out of these 9 symptoms. This means that if you have these five symptoms then you need to treat NPD.
- A grand sense of self-importance.
- Engaged in fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love.
- The belief that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood or associated with other special or high-status people or institutions.
- Those who need the utmost praise.
- Have a sense of entitlement.
- Mutually exploitative one.
- Takes advantage of others.
- Who lack empathy.
- One who is jealous of others or believes that others are jealous of him.
- One who always shows brash, arrogant behavior and gibberish.
Also Read: How to deal with work anxiety?
People with NPD can struggle heavily with any form of criticism, which leads to behavior such as: –
Behavior of a narcissistic personality:
Becoming impatient or angry at not getting special treatment.
Responding with anger or contempt and trying to belittle the other person to make themselves appear superior.
Difficulty controlling emotions and behavior.
Experiencing major problems dealing with stress and adapting to change. Feel sad and moody as they fall short of perfection.
Keeping secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability, and humiliation.
Narcissistic personality disorder can cause problems in their daily life in various areas, including their relationships, work, education, and even their finances. Those who suffer from this, remain unhappy and incomplete in life. This can lead to depression, tension, and thoughts of suicide.
So, if you or anyone around you find symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, they need the help of a doctor. Doctors can offer help through counseling, therapy, or treatment to provide a more enjoyable aspect of their life.
Reasons of a narcissistic personality disorder:
- Family Environment: Mismatch of relationships with parents or more attachment.
- Highly criticized by parents during childhood.
- Inherited characteristics.
- Not having a smooth relationship between the brain, behavior, and thinking.